Home     About     DIY     Recipes     InStitches    Contact

12.2.11

Homemade Pasta Sauce

Maybe it's because I'm pregnant or it's because I've never been to Italy,
or maybe it's because I'm insanely hungry and never sampled homemade tomato sauce before...

but

this is the best tomato sauce I've had in a very long time.

Homemade Pasta Sauce

Yesterday I got the wild idea to make my own sauce from scratch. All the tomatoes in the garden seemed to be ready at once and I'd already made giant batch of salsa (which I will be having with dinner tonight).
I had to try making own sauce. I'd never done it before.

With a quick bit of googling and research (and some help from Phil gathering the tomatoes) I was on my way. I blanched and peeled and seeded the tomatoes then cooked them for 45 minutes with garlic, olive oil, and onion then a few sprigs of basil from the garden.

Heavenly.

I cannot wait for pasta night or for pizza night.
It will really just be excuse to eat this tomato sauce.

Homemade Pasta Sauce


Here's how I did it:

3 1/2 lbs of tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 medium onion
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt (or salt to taste)

Blanch the tomatoes to remove the skins. You can do this by boiling the tomatoes for around 15 seconds and putting them immediately into ice water or cold water. The skins should come right off, but if they happen to give you trouble you can throw them into the boiling water again.

Once the skins are removed, cut and deseed the tomatoes over a strainer. Save the tomato juice that's free of seeds for later. This may seem like a silly and time-consuming step, but all the experts say that the seeds impart a bitter taste to the sauce. I'm going to take their word on that one. I don't have time to mess with bitter sauce.

Finely chop the onion and garlic and cook them for 10 minutes in the olive oil until they are translucent and slightly golden in color. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 45 minutes. If the sauce thickens too much in the process simply add in the extra tomato juice that was saved. Add salt and enjoooooy.

Seriously, I really enjoyed this.

xoxo
Talia Christine


8 comments:

  1. YUM! I want to try to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Talia,
    I can't wait to try this myself......uh -oh, I better get the tomato plants started growing!!
    We planned on having a garden this Spring as soon as this crazy weather calms down!! This sauce looks so delicious!! Once again, you are amazing! Oh, I will need to borrow Phil to gather the tomatoes too!! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy awesome - that sounds delicious! mm, definitely going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dearest talia,

    this sauce looks like it is absolutely to-die-for. and i love that you used tomatoes out of your own veggie garden! i just found your blog, and i absolutely adore it.

    xoxo,
    your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind of sauce un-related here (though that does look delicious!) I just found your blog by following a comment on PaisleyJade, and here I am!
    You and your hubby are seriously the cutest couple ever, and what a lovely little story about getting together finally after your long distance relationship!

    LOVE your blog, following from now on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. EE!! You guys are sooo sweet! This was way easier than it looks, TRUST ME!! You can do it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's looks so delicious. I'd love to sprinkle this hot sauce on my pizza. golf greens damac

    ReplyDelete
  8. The use of fresh basil from the garden gave the sauce a lovely finishing touch and demonstrated their attention to detail and dedication to using high-quality ingredients. Excellent efforts! cyber security companies in Saudi Arabia

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments and I try to respond to as many as I can so don't forget to check back! xoxo