Home     About     DIY     Recipes     InStitches    Contact

12.9.12

DIY: Fitted Sheets

It all started with a foam mattress, the one that came with the second-hand cot that we bought for Audrey. Well... it started with the foam mattress, my love for vintage sheets, and the need to personalize Audrey's room a bit.

Ahem. And the fact that I had just wrapped a poorly sized piece of fabric over the mattress for well over a year (yes, I washed it and put it back on the mattress.)

Okay. Basically I was shamed into making something nice for Audrey's bed. Because it was pretty ghetto before.

The good news is that it turned out to be REALLY easy. Like. Really easy.

The bad news is that it took me SO LONG TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Sorry, Audrey.

DIY Fitted Sheets
DIY Fitted Sheets

You'll need:
A bit of fabric (enough to cover the mattress and wrap around the sides)
Thread
80" of skinny elastic
A safety pin (or bobby pin)


DIY Fitted Sheets

1. Lay the fabric out and measure the outline of the mattress top. Add the height of the mattress plus 3-4 inches (For me, this measurement added up to 8") to each side. Your fabric should look something like the picture above after it's been cut out.

DIY Fitted Sheets
DIY Fitted Sheets

2. With the right sides of the corner together, sew along the edge to form a seam. This will become the edge that fits around the corners of the mattress. Repeat with all four corners.

DIY Fitted Sheets

3. Finish the entire outside edge using a serger or the zig zag stich on your sewing machine.

4. Iron 1" of the edge under all the way around the sheet. This will create a casing for the elastic to feed through.

DIY Fitted Sheets

5. Sew down the casing making sure to leave enough room for the elastic to feed through stopping 2 inches before you started. This is the opening that you will feed in the elastic.

DIY Fitted Sheets
DIY Fitted Sheets
DIY Fitted Sheets

6. Insert the elastic and thread through the casing until it comes out the other side.

7. Overlap the ends of the elastic and stitch them together securely. (or cheat like me and tie them together really tightly.) Then sew your casing closed.

DIY Fitted Sheets

8. Congratulations! You just made a custom fitted sheet. What a crafty one you are.

DIY Fitted Sheets
DIY Fitted Sheets

Now Audrey has real handmade linens! And I'm no longer a terrible mother ;)

Win win.

xoxo

DIY Fitted Sheets

21 comments:

  1. once again, we are twins. I've (like last week) only just managed to procure a duvet cover for her duvet - even easier to make!! LOVE the sheet idea too, you crafty fox you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Inti!! Why am I not surprised?? I have plans to share a "how-to" make your own duvet for later this month.

      Twins. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Good job Mama! and SO easy!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another thing I can do while waiting for this baby to make an appearance...make crib sheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's such a quick project, it feels very satisfying!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is such a great idea! I have so many vintage flat sheets that I have been collecting over the years. I'm going to have to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have such an insane (ever growing) stash of vintage sheets. My husband even bought some vintage ones he saw in a thrift store for my birthday! He knows me so well..

      Delete
  5. You've never been a terrible mother, Talia. Quite the opposite. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing. Hope all is lovely in your little slice of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! This is exactly what I need to make. You are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ditto Rhiannon!
    I'm going to make some bassinet one's first thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Talia, you are the craftiest person ever! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a lovely idea, such sheets would cost a fortune but you can pick up lovely second hand fabric really reasonably. I already follow but I've bookmarked this page.Rx

    http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, so I'm ridiculouly pregnant and I'm on my whole nesting phase. I have this crazy idea that all of my baby's blankets, sheets, burp cloths, etc. should match, this helps with my completley neurotic thought! It looks so easy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job Mama! It's not so easy for me. This article is useful for me. I would like to say Thanks for sharing such a excellent job.
    Regards: Lisa Dodd

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work really nice to see such a amazing post. the collection of fitted sheets is very nice. we deal in pillow protectors in UK. thanks for sharing this article.


    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, you explained the topic very well.
    Fitted Sheets

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments and I try to respond to as many as I can so don't forget to check back! xoxo