Sometimes you just need your Mama. And sometimes, when she isn't around, you'll settle for her famous cookies instead. I made these awhile back when I was homesick and a pregnant hormonal crazy mess. I just needed my Mama but she lives far away. So I made these cookies instead. It did the trick (but only because I knew she was coming for a visit soon!).
My emotional need for cookies aside... THESE ARE MY FAVORITE COOKIES EVER.
They have just the right amount of chewiness couple with the perfect crunch of cornflakes. Perfectly sweet and not over the top. I can't imagine there being a more perfect cookie out there. Except maybe if there was chocolate drizzled on top. I like chocolate drizzled on things. I just had that idea now, FYI, and I wish I had thought of it earlier. DOH!
1 cup shortening (or butter)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups corn flakes
2 cups quick oats
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut
1. In large bowl: cream shortening, sugar, and brown sugar.
2. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
3. In another bowl: mix corn flakes, quick oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add to other bowl.
5. Stir in coconut.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 275-300 degrees/electric ovens.
7. Place dough on greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 mins. 8-10 mins./electric ovens.
Yield = 7 dozen