Home     About     DIY     Recipes     InStitches    Contact

1.11.11

Wellington: Petone

Dear Friends and Family,
To all those of you who have asked for updates, bribed, and guilt tripped me into posting...Ahhhhh!! I'm sorry! I have wanted to to blog! Wished I could blog! And haven't. Baby wrangling and blogging is a tough mix but I'm back! I have tons of updates coming (Pictures of Audrey!) so hang tight! You're the best. Yes, you.
xoxoxoox


This last week we went on a much needed getaway to Wellington! We hadn't really been away on a proper vacation since we moved to NZ. Phil went on a business trip (fancy fancy) and took a few days off extra and I tagged along! We flew. It was Audrey's first time on a plane and it was a complete success*!

We stayed with some friends, Jono and Inti, in the cutest little area outside of Wellington in Petone. It's right on the beach, everything is in walking distance, and most of the houses are the cutest little done up bungalows. If I had to live anywhere else in NZ I'd choose there.

Wellington: Petone

I still cannot get over the beauty of New Zealand. Petone for example. This tiny little suburb just nestled in between the harbor and beautiful green covered mountains. It's insanely gorgeous. The locals are just so casual about it. I feel like I was the only one losing my mind over the beauty of it. Texas is brown folks. I don't know that I'll ever get over the green of New Zealand.

Jono and Inti also have a baby, Orla-Jean. Her and Audrey are two days apart! Our stay was basically a baby party, which I loved. It was really fun seeing the similarities and differences in the two and watching them together. Audrey is teeny for her age and Orla is really long and lovely like her parents. Audrey is really talkative and scream/screeches when she's excited (I know). Orla cried when Audrey got excited. Sorry, Orla.

Inti spoiled us rotten with good (amazing, incredible) home cooking, tour guiding, and the best dang hospitality I've ever experienced. I love them. I wish we lived closer.

The six of us went went wandering around Petone to get some fresh air on a nice (windy) day. I'll note that yes, I am pretty short, but Jono and Inti are also very tall. So I look shorter. Also, my butt isn't that big. I'm wearing some awkward layers.

Okay. Proceed. ;)

Wellington: Petone
Cuuuute houses!

Wellington: Petone, Inti and Orla
Inti and Orla

Wellington: Petone
Audrey in the sling. I have raptor claws for hands. I really do.

Wellington: Petone

Wellington: Petone
Wellington: Petone
Jono, Inti, and Orla
Wellington: Petone

Wellington: Petone


Wellington is seriously cool. I don't know what I expected but I didn't expect what I got. It has a nice "big city" feel without being too big. We scored some killer thrift finds and enjoyed exploring little bits of the city. If it wasn't so dang windy and cold... I might just steal away permanently.

In other news, we got a dog!!! Her name is Squirrel. She's actually sitting on my lap right now. I'll introduce her soon. In the meantime, here are some pictures of my bundled up yeti baby to tide you over.

Yeti babyYeti baby
Yeti babyYeti baby

Wah! So cute!

xoxo
Talia Christine


*I was super nervous about traveling with a baby on a plane. I've heard that nursing during landing and takeoff is great because it helps jaw movement to help with the ears. Well, for a baby that doesn't like to nurse this wasn't a great option. She was a bit grizzly during takeoff due to extreme exhaustion but didn't cry. I had a lolli pop in my mouth and I let her take a few licks to distract her. I don't care. I'll do whatever works. It did. BOOYAH. She then slept through the whole flight! Double booyah!

9 comments:

  1. traveling was so scary for me too the first time, but i bottle feed, so take off and landing were easy. the next time i flew my little was 6 months and by 6 months ... well they just don't sleep as much! so i googled tons of tips and tricks and the ones that worked for me was

    1. wear tons of jewelry. I wore long necklaces and i had bracelets and watch on. this seriously kept my son busy for the majority of the flight! That and the laminated menu they had in the seat pocket, the barf bag and my cup after i had drank my drink.

    2. don't brin baby toys. most of them raddle of make noise and other people don't care much for baby toy noise, so stick to toys that make no sound, or things that are not toys and are normally off limits (cups and spoons and barf bags and such) they will be SOOO into them it makes flying easy!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mademyjehn: Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way too kind talia, you guys are the easiest people to host!! You'll have to come back some time when its not so breezy and cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh Petone - a few years ago I lived on Bolton St, right next to where you took that first photo from! Best years of my life! We lived in a renovated bungalow just as you describe, it was perfect; nestled in between the hills, the beach and the cafes :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talia there was this video I meant to show you before you arrived but I thought it might put you off making the trip, so now that you are safely back in the comfort of your own home, enjoy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LaAkAyoz0

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jono: That video was a great reminder of our flight there. The one where I pretty much cried because I thought we were going to crash. Thanks for that.

    Audrey even crapped her pants (though she was probably going to do that any way.)

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun!! She's so cute! Glad the traveling worked out. I'm
    Nervous to do that too in December!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad the plane was a success!! And that wrap is g o r g e o u s!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments and I try to respond to as many as I can so don't forget to check back! xoxo